Thursday, June 28, 2012

La salida de Madrid


Anyone who knows me knows that a few of the most important things in my life are family, friends, and of course, food! The Spanish seem to love food just as much as I do, so I've come to a great place. My previous posts have already touched on this fantastic topic, and I'm sure there will be lots more to come. My attitude towards food for this trip is go for it! ...even if I don't have a clue what's on the menu. I just order and wait and see what the waiter puts in front of me. Just hoping that
Here's a brief recap of the previous post "¡Mi primera paella!" for anyone who doesn't read Spanish:
Milan, Jessi, and I were given free time for lunch again yesterday, and set out to find authentic Spanish paella. We walked up a side street of shops and restaurants and picked one randomly.  As we walked in, we noticed that there were a few pictures of aliens on signs and framed inside the restaurant, which was very strange. 
It tuned out that the name of the restaurant was "Taberna del Marciano" or Martian Tavern, which explains the alien theme. It was especially unusual because the Tavern was not tacky at all, it seemed very traditional, and many of the customers were Spanish-speakers, not tourists. The food was very good authentic Spanish cuisine, and we ordered from the "menú del día".  My favorite course was the primer plato (first course), which was a mixed seafood and chicken paella. It was a bit of a challenge to figure out how to eat the shrimp, because they were served with legs, tails, heads, eyes and all! I guess I'm going to have to get used to my food looking at me from the plate while I'm here.

Our last day in Madrid was spent with a visit to el Museo del Prado, which is an art museum that houses many famous masterpieces. We saw works by El Greco, Velazquez, and many other famous artists.  In the afternoon we toured the Royal Palace of Spain, which was beautiful! I will post pictures taken of the outside when I get a chance later on! We spent the evening out for tapas and then at a chocolateria which served churros y chocolate. 

We left Madrid on Wednesday morning to take the bus to Bilbao. This was our "salida de Madrid" or exit of Madrid.  I get a kick out of the Spanish exit signs because they seem to suggest that people crouch and run in order to go out the door of restaurants and shops here.  Anyway, this is what they look like:

2 comments:

  1. ¡Quiero decirte que estoy leyendo tu blog y me encanta! Continúa con los cuentos fantásticos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡gracias! espero que tenga muchos cuentos interesantes para compartir. todo está fantástico aquí, te vas a encantar el país

    ReplyDelete