Monday, July 30, 2012

a taste of home

I wanted to bring a taste of home to Spain, so I decided to make an apple crisp to share with my host family.  The grocery shopping turned out to be the most difficult part of this endeavor.  The "supermercado" that my host mother sent me to was set up, not in organized aisles, but more like a maze with dead ends and random placement of products.  I searched through the section where the baking goods are about five times before I finally found sugar, and discovered that brown sugar (azúcar marrón) comes in a carton here (like a milk carton).  I finally found all of the ingredients I needed, and headed home to prepare the dessert.  It turns out that azúcar marrón is not like the brown sugar we have in the States, it was more like sugar in the raw.  Still, I used it to make the crisp topping, and when all was said and done, it came out great!  I served it with vanilla ice cream, of course, and everyone enjoyed it after our lunch :)

On a more exciting note, I am (not so patiently) awaiting the arrival of my sister!  She is currently flying from Boston to Philadelphia, and this evening she'll board her flight in Madrid to land in Spain around 8:30 am local time. Then a 5 hour bus ride will bring her to Bilbao, where I will meet her at the bus station so we can continue our adventures together!

No comments:

Post a Comment